Saturday, October 5, 2024

I Just Couldn't Get Into "Shaun of the Dead"

 

Tonight, I went to the Brattle Theatre to attend a 20th anniversary screening of Shaun of the Dead starring Simon Pegg.

At the time of its release, I was tempted to go to see it but ended up not doing so and never viewed it until tonight.

Frankly, I wish I had resisted the temptation.

Shaun of the Dead is a horror film in the guise of a romantic comedy. Unfortunately, I just couldn't bring myself to see the humor of the situation and even the presence of Bill Nighy and Penelope Wilton (who would go onto greater fame in the role of Isobel Crowley in Downton Abbey) couldn't save the film for me. Most horror films particularly of the zombie genre are one dimensional for my taste. 

The only interesting aspect of the film to me is when Pegg's protagonist is oblivious to all the carnage around him as he makes his way to and from the convenience store. His character was in a different sort of daze. But the film started going downhill as soon as he became aware of the zombie apocalypse. Because if you've seen one zombie film you've seen them all.

Now I am doing my best to get Shaun of the Dead out of my head before I go to bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment