Monday, September 5, 2022

10 People Stabbed to Death in Saskatchewan

While at dinner with my Dad last night in New York City, I learned of the horror in Saskatchewan where 10 people were stabbed to death at multiple locations mainly on the James Smith Cree Nation while 18 other people were injured. The suspects were a pair of brothers one of whom was found deceased today while the other is still at large. It is unclear at this point if the perpetrators were members of the James Smith Cree Nation. Most of the victims have yet to be identified as of this writing.

What is clear is there is a community and a province that will be traumatized by this violence for years to come. As many people died yesterday as are typically murdered in Regina and Saskatoon in an average year. This is the first mass murder to have taken place in Saskatchewan since 1969. While no community is immune from violence some places experience less violence than others. 

On a personal note, the last time I was in Saskatchewan was 25 years ago when I went to Regina for the Federal NDP Convention. The people with whom I stayed in Regina did not lock their doors at night and told me this was fairly common in the area. I don't know if that has changed over the past quarter century, but if it hasn't I strongly suspect those habits will change now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment