Thursday, May 27, 2021

Facing The World Unmasked


In observance of being fully vaccinated, for the first time in more than 13 months, I went outside without wearing a mask.

To say that it felt weird would be an understatement. It was an unfamiliar sensation for my mouth and nose after being led by my mouth and nose uncovered for more than 47 years. It was a weird feeling, but a good feeling.

Now walking outside without a mask in Georgia is far from unusual. There was never a statewide mask mandate and local mask ordinances were limited to indoor facilities. But picking up from where I left off in New York, I continued to choose to wear a mask in public. I tentatively planned to stop wearing a mask outdoors once I was fully vaccinated after my first shot. Moments before getting my second shot, the CDC announced mask rules would be loosened for fully vaccinated people. At that point, things truly began to round the turn. But as I waited my turn to be vaccinated, I waited my turn to remove my mask outdoors.

I walked along the BeltLine. Although it was a comfortable evening crowds were scarce. But one young lady said something to me I haven't heard in over a year - "I love your mustache." Well, at least one Atlanta resident had the chance to go on the record.

Mind you, I kept my mask close at hand and promptly put one on when I went inside Kroger although many shoppers were unmasked. I'm going to continue to take things slow even as things around me move fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment