Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Even If Darci Lynne Farmer Doesn't Win America's Got Talent She'll Become a National Treasure UPDATE

Normally I don't watch shows like America's Got Talent, but while surfing YouTube this morning I came across this video of a 12-year old singing ventriloquist performing a rendition of The Beatles' "With a Little Help From My Friends" with two puppets. This I had to see and hear.

I quickly learned that this was Darci Lynne Farmer, a 12-year old ventriloquist from Oklahoma who only began studying her craft two years ago to overcome her shyness. She's done that and then some.

I can't think of the last time I saw a female ventriloquist. Singing ventriloquists aren't unheard of. I remember during the 1970's, Willie Tyler and Lester occasionally singing in their act. But Farmer hasn't reached her teens and can sing like Aretha Franklin and a young Michael Jackson. She's engaging, funny, a master puppeteer who has only just begun and wants to revive ventriloquism. I believe Edgar Bergen would be proud.

The America's Got Talent finale airs this evening. She ought to win. But if she doesn't it is far from the end of the world. There are so many places where she could take her talent other than Las Vegas (which is part of the grand prize). She could hit the concert circuit, star in her own weekly TV show (which Simon Cowell has suggested), record albums and DVDs and entertain our troops overseas.

Whether or not Darci Lynne Farmer wins America's Got Talent she is at an age and has the sort of signature talent that I believe will make her a National Treasure.


UPDATE: As you all know by now, Darci Lynn won. The best is yet to come.






No comments:

Post a Comment