Monday, April 8, 2024

On Viewing My First Total Solar Eclipse

This afternoon I viewed my first total solar eclipse, and I can still see.

I avoided the last total solar eclipse in August 2017 because of my fear of blindness which was deeply embedded within me during the total solar eclipse of February 1979 when my family was living in Victoria, British Columbia. 

I was initially going to avoid this one too. In my job, I rely on my eyes. If I lose use of them then I don't know what I would do. However, my employer provided free viewing glasses. We are also not going to experience another eclipse until August 23, 2044. I would be less than a month shy of my 72nd birthday. I am now at a stage of my life where I can wonder if I'll be around when it comes. So I decided to have this moment in the sun.

Boston was not in the direct path of the eclipse, so it didn't get that dark here. Better views were to be had in this part of the country in Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. But I did get a look through my glasses at around 3 p.m. and just before 3:30 p.m. from inside the building where I work. However, I made a point of not looking for very long. 

Alas I could not capture the image on my iPad. You'll just have to settle for the glorious sun knowing the moon had crossed it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment