Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Why I'm Not Surprised Curt Schilling Harbors Anti-Semitic Views

Yesterday, former MLB pitcher Curt Schilling retweeted an anti-Semitic post on X (formerly known as Twitter) without comment thus indicating agreement and approval.

Schilling retweeted a post from an anti-Semite named Lucas Gage who demanded to know why Jews dominate a nation "when they didn't found (sic) said nation" while claiming Jews "consider themselves separate from all humanity because they're supposedly chosen by God".

I cannot say I'm surprised that Schilling harbors anti-Semitic sentiment. Given all the other conspiracy theories he's embraced over the years, I suppose it was only a matter of time before he embraced the world's oldest conspiracy theory. 

It was Johnny Bench's anti-Semitism which came as a surprise to me. To me, that came out of nowhere. Yet the fact that I am not surprised Schilling would amplify anti-Semitic sentiment online doesn't dissipate my sadness and contempt for someone I publicly said was worthy of inclusion in the Baseball Hall of Fame irrespective of his politics and still do. 

Curt Schilling was a great baseball pitcher. Curt Schilling is also an awful human being.

No comments:

Post a Comment