Thursday, September 20, 2018

Red Sox Clinch 3rd Straight AL East Title On My Last Night in Boston

The Boston Red Sox have clinched their third consecutive AL East title with an 11-6 victory over the New York Yankees. While the Sox would have preferred to clinch at home as they did last year (I was there to see it in person) there is always a satisfaction in beating the Bronx Bombers at Yankee Stadium.

Home runs by Brock Holt, Jackie Bradley, Jr. & Mookie Betts (who belted his 30th of the year) contrubuted to the Sox's 104th victory of the season. It is the most the Red Sox have won since 1946 & are one victory away from tying their franchise record 105th victory set back in 1912. To put it in perspective, the Red Sox already have 11 more victories than they did a year ago with 9 games remaining in the regular season.

It has been a remarkable season for first year manager Alex Cora. Of course, it will be quickly forgotten if they fail to get past the ALDS for the third straight year especially if they fall to the Yankees. But for the moment there is a chance for the 2018 Boston Red Sox to be the greatest Red Sox team ever.

Should they go all the way I shall not be attending my fourth World Series parade. You see this is my last night in Boston. I won't go into the details now. But I am moving to....New York City.

Rest assured if there's Red Sox vs. Yankees ALDS I will be rooting for Boston. Rooting for the Yankees would be a bridge too far. But in 2019 I will be rooting for the New York Mets. Fittingly my last game at Fenway was on Sunday (my birthday) as the Sox hosted the Mets. There was a large contingent of Mets fans. I'd say about 40%. When the Mets tied the game late there was a large "Let's Go Mets!!!" chant. After a minute of "Let's Go Red Sox!!!" & "Let's Go Mets!!!" there was a pause. Red Sox & Mets fans chanted in unison "Yankees Suck!!!" So becoming a Mets fan won't be such a stretch.

But that will be next year. This year I will see the Red Sox through even if Boston will no longer be my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment