Saturday, July 1, 2017

I Had Hoped To Be in Canada Today

Today marks the 150th anniversary of Canada's independence.

I was born and raised in Canada, but have lived in the U.S. for more than 17 years. It was my hope to be up there for the occasion, but it was not to be. I shan't get into the details. In any case, I will be spending the week in New York with my Dad. "Not a bad back up plan," Dad quipped last night.

Well, Canada will surely be there next year.

Canada doesn't get its due on the world stage and tends to get overlooked by the U.S. This causes considerable resentment towards America much of which goes too far for my liking. It breeds an unbecoming smugness.

Nevertheless there is a quiet and calm in Canada that I generally don't find here and it is something I miss. But America is my home now. I'll just have to wait another year for that quiet and calm. Next year in Ottawa. Or perhaps Rimouski.

But I can enjoy the occasional bag of ketchup flavored potato chips. Perhaps I will order Canadian Bacon for brunch.

I wish I were up there be in Ottawa, Toronto or Thunder Bay. Wherever you are North of the Border, I hope you have a day full of peace, order and good government accompanied with a dose of Molson Canadian.

No comments:

Post a Comment