Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Fats Domino, R.I.P.

Rock 'n roll pioneer Fats Domino passed away yesterday at the age of 89 after a lengthy illness.

The New Orleans native had a string of hits during the 1950's and early 1960's including "I'm Walkin'", "Walkin' to New Orleans", "Ain't That a Shame" and "Blueberry Hill". I suspect many like myself who were born in the 1970's first heard "Blueberry Hill" on Happy Days when it was sung by Richie Cunningham on those occasions it looked like he was headed to Inspiration Point.

Domino made headlines in 2005 when his home was destroyed during Hurricane Katrina. Also destroyed were many of his possessions including his gold records and the Presidential Medal of Freedom which was bestowed upon him by President Clinton. President Bush would personally deliver a new Presidential Medal to legendary pianist.

Last November, I heard Robbie Robertson say he was planning to produce a TV documentary on the history of rock 'n roll with Domino, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis and Little Richard. At the time, I wrote, "Robertson says the time is right to do such a show really, really well. Well, I think he better do it really, really fast."

I hope Robertson made good on his word because Berry died in March and now Domino is gone. Lewis just turned 82 and Little Richard turns 85 in December and they aren't getting any younger.

I leave you one of Domino's underappreciated gems - "Whole Lotta Lovin'". R.I.P.




No comments:

Post a Comment