Saturday, March 2, 2019

Thoughts on Klobuchar's Pledge To "Do Better" In Her Treatment of Staff

Minnesota Senator and 2020 Democratic presidential hopeful Amy Klobachur issued a statement to the Minneapolis Star-Tribune regarding the treatment of her staff:

I’m incredibly proud of the work our staff has done and I would not be here without amazing staff. I know I can be tough, I know I can push people too hard, and I also know I can do better — and I will.

In light of this statement, it will be difficult for those who have defended Klobuchar to argue the allegations against her were inaccurate and play the sexism card. Indeed, Zach Rodvald, a former staffer who nows works for Congressman Dean Phillips and praises Klobuchar, acknowledges he saw her throw a pen in anger.

As for me, I am skeptical of her statement. Yes, Klobuchar acknowledges her shortcomings which is more than what President Trump would ever do. But how many alcoholics and perpetrators of domestic abuse have pledged to do better have not followed through with her actions?

What steps will Klobuchar take to do better? Will she receive counseling or take anger management classes? Or is this just more lip service? Who can say Klobuchar won't throw another object at a staff member or publicly humiliate a staff member for falling short of her expectations?

If Klobuchar wants my vote then she is going to have to deliver results. Klobuchar will need to earn my vote and she will have a lot of competition. 


No comments:

Post a Comment