Friday, February 17, 2017

I Don't Blame Harward For Turning Down The NSA Job One Bit But We Are Poorer For It

I don't blame retired Admiral Robert Harward for declining President Trump's offer to be his new National Security Adviser one bit.


In declining the job, Harward stated, “It’s purely a personal issue. I’m in a unique position finally after being in the military for 40 years to enjoy some personal time.”


Here's a rough translation of that statement:


What? President Trump wants me to be his National Security Adviser? Is he out of his fucking mind? Why on earth would I want to work for a guy who says he knows more about ISIS than the Generals? I'd like to keep my sanity, thank you very much.


I have little doubt that this is how he really feels about the offer. According to Jake Tapper, Harward told friend that Trump's offer amounted to "a shit sandwich."


President Trump says he's all about hiring the best people. But if he isn't going to let James Mattis, John Kelly or Rex Tillerson in on his Muslim travel ban Executive Order what assurances does Harward have that Trump will take him in his confidence in the capacity of a non-Cabinet official?


I don't think this will be the last time someone turns down a job in the Trump Administration. If President Trump's behavior keeps the best people from wanting to work him then we will be stuck with the Michael Flynns of the world and the chaos that is sure to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment